Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The old MG

Not many people can say that they still have their first car. Me neither, since last Sunday, when I finally let it go. I originally bought it from a guy that had to sell it because he got drafted and had to go to Vietnam! I owned it for 35 years! I always joked that I would be buried in it. My Dad & I were fans of British sports cars and we both had MG's; at one point my brother had one too. This particular model is rare and worth a lot if restored. I had planned to do that some day, but never got around to it. I had it for sale on some obscure web site since 2004 and the other day some young guy called me all excited about it. I told him that he could take it if he promised to send me a photo when it was restored. He expected to pay the $750. that I was asking for it. He was so excited and enthusiastic that I gave it to him for nothing. After all, it served me well, I drove it over 100,000 miles. I was happy to see the old MG go to a good home. I expected to be melancholy as I mowed the grass around it for the last time. As it turned out, I was OK, but my roomate started crying! (I thought she hated that old car!)

6 comments:

Jellyhead said...

It's weird, isn't it, how we can get so fond of inanimate objects like cars? Thirty-five years is a loooong time to own a car - no wonder you'll miss it.

I still think of my first car, Lucy. She was a little gem!

Paradise Driver said...

A 2+2 "fastback". Very, very rare.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I would have cried like a baby...

35 years! Wow!!

I cried everytime I get rid of one of my cars .. but I've only owned two in my adult life... I get real attached!

bob mullen said...

I had one of those waaay back in the mists of time. When I see the latest fancy new cars I always say "I'm getting one of them" of course I always neglect to say that it may be in fifteen years or so when they cost next to nothing.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I have a 1986 450cc Honda Rebel that I can't part with yet. Although I haven't had it as long as you had your MG, I think I'll cry when I have to get rid of it...and it runs like a new one.

Kerri said...

my first car was a little green Morris Minor (very British!). Then I had a little red beetle called Charlie. I had to sell that when I married my hubby and moved over here. It's sad when you have to part with them.
You did a really nice thing giving your old MG to that young man. I hope he has a great time with it.
Funny how your roommate cried :)