Sunday, January 15, 2006

Death of a Microwave

I was warming up some soup the other day in the microwave. All of a sudden I heard "hummm-POP" and it was over. Dead. No lights, no clock, nothing. It was dead. I have had the appliance for about ten years, and I know when they go, there is no recall. The "magnatron" or some such contraption dies (like the heart of the thing) and it costs less to buy a new oven than replace that part. When we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago, we left the cabinet over the range "short", so we could one day buy an "over-the-range microwave". Today was that day. I went to Sears and bought a new one. Now $249. is enough to pay, but now I must pay another $250. to have it installed! I can't lift stuff anymore, so I have to pay someone to install it. Well, that's life I guess, I am lucky to have the money, but that is not what I wanted to spend it on!

1 comment:

jellyhead said...

Farewell to your long-serving microwave. May your new one be everything a good microwave should be to it's owner!

On a serious note, I'm very sorry about your friend who died. That must have been an awful time, and I'm sure it is still hard for you to think of it. Don't worry about me - I'm fit as a Mallee bull (as they say). But I'll be sure to go for a check-up anyway.