Thursday, February 23, 2006

Buying stuff I will probably never use


I hate to do it. Today I am going to buy a generator. It is about $500. I hope I never have to use it, but it is good to have in the "hurricane belt". I have vowed to buy at least one hurricane related item every season. I have already purchased window boards that slip in quickly with hurricane clips, and they are good to protect the windows from flying objects. The problems usually happen with the after effects of the storm, when we don't have power for days. I have a small generator now, but today I will buy a bigger one. It will run the refrigerator, freezer, a couple of lights and a fan (a must in the hot, hell hole!) I guess this is the price I pay for living in this paradise. The damn generator weighs 154 pounds! I will have to build a wheel kit for it, so I can pull it around. I am off to the nearest Harbor Freight store.

3 comments:

DB said...

I bought one two years after an ice storm. Best thing I ever bought. I put mine on one of those garden carts with a handle (like a wagon) and I can take it in and out as I please. I have only used it once since I bought it when there was an accident nearby that knocked out the power for about half a day but it sure was nice to have.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I have always threatened to buy a generator, but still haven't...if my computer ever has to stay off because of a power outage...I will rush out and buy one for sure.

You need one where you live and I would buy a big one too. I hope you find a good deal and can get it unloaded from your vehicle. Hope you have someone around to help you.

Motherkitty said...

We purchased a large snowblower following a big December 2004 snowstorm that had us snowbound in our house for a week. The joke is that it is our insurance policy against our getting any further large snows. You know, it worked because we have not had any large snows since then.

Maybe your generator will give you the same kind of luck. Hopefully, it will remain a virgin just like our snowblower. May you never have a power outage again in your lifetime. All in all, however, it's a very good investment as Photo says.