Friday, February 17, 2006

Hobbies

How about it? What's your hobby? Retired people need hobbies because the "idle mind is the devil's playground" (heh-heh) I have been thinking about it lately and I guess my hobby is photography. So that led me to scrapbooking. My roomate is a scrapper and that is how I got started with that. I am not near the nut that she is about it. I have a scrapbook for my son's high school band, one for his DCI band, and one for my dogs. I cut out little cute snapshots and arrange them on a page of the book in a unique and crafty way. I think it is rather silly, and I got into it quite by accident because of the photo thing. You might be suprised to know that this scrapbooking craze is a billion dollar industry. I also raise homing pigeons. I have about 30 of them in a coup in my back yard. Now birders are serious about this, they race these birds. Not me. I just like 'em. I don't want them to race; I just like to let them out sometimes and watch them fly around. The most I ever do is take a couple of them about five miles away and see how long it takes them to get back. I am fascinated by their homing skills, but I have no idea how they do it. Those are my only hobbies. Unless you can count camping or biking, but those are more sports I guess. Oh yeah, don't forget blogging - I love blogging and I especially love to read your blogs (all of you know who you are) I guess that is a hobby too. What is your hobby?

4 comments:

Jellyhead said...

Hi Tuff,

I guess blogging is a hobby, isn't it? I do that, and I do karate. That's enough for me!

Motherkitty said...

I wish the scrapbooking fairy would come to my house some day and organize and make pretty ALL my pictures. That would make me happy. I really admire anyone who has this talent. I have a cousin who is so into scrapping and her books are very cute and clever. I just don't have that talent. Same with cross-stitch. Don't have the patience or inclination.

What I do like to do, besides blogging and writing, is reading (is that a hobby?), needlepoint (that is a hobby!), collecting recipes and cooking (feeding people is considered a labor of love), and gardening. I also have many more interests too numerous to mention.

I say, whatever makes people happy is what they should do. Nothing makes someone feel old and useless than idleness and not using their brain and talents. My dad was always sitting around waiting for something to happen and for someone to entertain him. What a waste.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Hobbies Huh...I like to take pictures and make collages for gifts.
I take lots of videos.
I like to blog and create imaginary stories about a character named "Cucoo."
I like to crochet, but don't do as much as I like.
I like to ride cross-country on a motorcycle at least once a year.
I like to write poems & lymricks.

Finding the Happy said...

Let's see...my hobbies are: cooking, reading, writing, listening to music, gardening, hiking, getting lost intentionally and finding my way home (kind of like your pigeons), singing, movies, agility and flyball with my dog, games with non-competitive people, laughing. I wish I could add dancing to the list, but I just dream about dancing and wake up very happy.