Friday, March 24, 2006

Florida Aquarium

Yesterday we went to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa. I am familiar with many species of aquatic life, living in a state surrounded by water, but I had never seen anything like this. This is a "Leafy Sea Dragon" It looks sort of like a sea horse with leaves! What an interesting animal. The leaves do not act as fins to stear the animal, but are just for camouflage. He moves by means of a tiny little transparent fin on his back. This animal is native to Australia. This is the first time I have observed one of them - I could have stayed and watched him all day. Facinating!

4 comments:

Motherkitty said...

Absolutely fantastic and gorgeous. Thanks for sharing a picture of this odd little creature. I'm sure you had a wonderful time in Tampa at the aquarium.

I wonder if Jellyhead has ever seen one of these beautiful little creatures?

Jellyhead said...

I think I may have seen one of these fellows in an aquarium, but never in real life! It's a groovy little thing, isn't it?

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'm going to make a trip to the aquarium this summer and I'm going to see if they have one here. This little seahorse looking creature is very pretty...Thanks for sharing.

doubleknot said...

Sure enough I do believe that is the same 'Leafy Sea Dragon' that we saw at the Tampa Aquarium a few years ago. We were facinated by them also.