Monday, November 28, 2005

Now I understand

An old lady I know used to say, "I wouldn't have him for him", when talking about some useless person that she didn't like. I used to think this was a strange comment, and I didn't quite understand it. Lately, the comment has become crystal clear to me. It refers to the persons egocentric personality, and their attitude about how the world owes them a living. A selfish, self centered person, who always has to be the center of attention, and who can't get enough of themselves, who is always right. They are the smartest, best, most good looking person in the world - in their mind. This over inflated ego is further enhanced by the person constantly having to berate or belittle other people around them to make them look even better and more important to themselves. Most often this person does not know how they are perceived by others, how ridiculous they appear to the rest of us. To paraphrase R.D. Lang, "one of his problems, is that he does not know he has a problem".

No comments: