Wednesday, November 02, 2005

r-e-a-l-l-y part-time

My son quit his part time job this past weekend. He told me that he was really tired of smelling like fast foods, and that he really didn't want to work anymore. He only worked on weekends since last summer. He saved all of his money and put it in the bank. His argument was that he really didn't need to work, so he would rather not. Since I told him in the first place that I just wanted him to work for a while for the experience, I couldn't really argue the point. I explained to him that this was probably the last time in his life that he would have the "choice not to work". I reminded him how lucky he was that he didn't have to. Childhood is such a short time in our lives, I want him to enjoy it. I also want him to have a sense of responsibility. He knows he will have to keep a job when he is sixteen, that is - if he wants to have a car and drive. His sixteenth birthday is less than six months away - then he will have to join the rat race like the rest of us. I hope he enjoys the next few months off.

No comments: